MONDAY, OCTOBER 2ND, PRE SUMMIT:
The State Bank Business Challenge features contestants competing for over $40,000 in cash and prizes in front of a panel of all-star judges. Who will win the $5,000 people's choice award? Attend this event and help decide!
The Utah Rural Leadership Academy Graduation, hosted at the One Utah Summit, marks the end of the transformative program focused on fostering a dynamic leadership network and equipping students with vital administration and leadership skills. This graduation recognizes our graduates' outstanding dedication to personal growth and their readiness to drive impactful change in rural settings.
The Fall One Utah Summit is set to kick off during the Maverik Adventures First Stop Summit Party - a thrilling outdoor opening social! Join us in casual attire for an evening of outdoor games and live instrumental music performed by the talented Pompe 'n Honey. As you enjoy generous swag and refreshments, this event will set the stage for an innovative and collaborative summit experience like no other. Get ready to be inspired and entertained as we launch into a remarkable journey together!
Welcome to the Summit by Governor Cox
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 3RD:
Please check in at the Auditorium and join us for breakfast in the courtyard! Kickstart your day with a mouthwatering breakfast extravaganza by Chartwells! Our spread features a delightful sweet bread and pastry board, fresh fruit bowls, fluffy scrambled eggs, perfectly roasted potatoes, crispy bacon, savory sausage, and luscious yogurt parfaits. Complement it all with a refreshing glass of OJ and a steaming cup of coffee, served to perfection.
9:05 | Curtis Moore | Energy Fuels: Creating a Clean Energy Future for Utah and Beyond | Mr. Moore will begin his discussion with a brief introduction of Energy Fuels and its White Mesa Mill which operates in Blanding and is one of the area’s largest employers. He will then delve into the global push toward clean energy production and how this transition could reshape southeast Utah, making the state an international hub for the critical minerals necessary for existing and emerging clean energy technologies. Currently, China and Russia dominate the global supply of rare earth elements and uranium, respectively, which presents a significant challenge to supply chain stability and national security. He will illustrate how Energy Fuels is well positioned to restore these critical supply chains from their facility in Blanding, Utah.
9:10 | Earl Creech | The Real Story About Alfalfa | Did you know that Utah is 11th in the nation for alfalfa production? This session will provide an opportunity to learn why alfalfa is an integral and foundational element of agriculture in the state. Highlighting the numerous benefits of alfalfa, this presentation will emphasize the environmental and soil benefits, its resilience and adaptability, and demonstrate how it is a critical component of sustainable agricultural systems for the future.
9:15 | Michelle McConkie | Building Trust: Developing School & Instutional Lands in Rural Utah | Michelle McConkie, Executive Director of the Trust Lands Administration, will talk about the ongoing land exchange and the specific areas in the state where businesses will soon be able to operate on what used to be Federal land. You'll hear about opportunities for traditional oil and gas, mining, critical mineral extraction, renewable energy, development, and more. The presentation will include visuals of the areas to show where and how much land will soon be available in rural Utah for businesses to thrive.
9:20 | Jason Curry, Carson DeMille, Camille Johnson | Rural Spotlight - Leveraging our Visitor Economy to Enhance Outdoor Recreation for Communities | The Office of Tourism will headline its Red Emerald Strategic Plan to enhance quality of life for all Utahns. To provide an on-the-ground perspective, the Division of Outdoor Recreation and a Utah Outdoor Recreation Grant (UORG) grant recipient - Carson Demille with Richfield Trails will - join Jason Curry from the Division of Outdoor Recreation to discuss their growing trails system, made possible through the UORG. Learn about their journey from conceptualizing the project to realizing its positive impacts on the local community, and how it has enhanced their visitor outreach, promotion, and experiences.
9:27 | Governor Spencer J. Cox, Lt. Governor Deidre Henderson, Joel Ferry | Natural Resources Horizon Award | Utah’s abundant natural resources are continually challenged by drought, flooding, wildfires, competing demands for water, population growth, recreation and tourism pressures, and more. The Natural Resources Horizon Award recognizes someone who is forward-thinking, always surveying the horizon to anticipate challenges, and proactively working to solve complex natural resource challenges for the betterment of Utah.
9:30 | Lt. Governor Deidre Henderson | Building up the Builders | While increasingly connected online, our kids are decreasingly connected from their communities. How a high school service requirement will strengthen the next generation of Utah's leaders and help the state continue to thrive.
9:40 | Brad Bonham and Cydni Tetro | Rural Spotlight - Utah: The Startup State | Small business drives Utah's economy. Utah's continually ranked as a top state for startups. Learn about the state's new startup initiative and how it'll help Utah entrepreneurs navigate a complex ecosystem of regulations and resources and connect with critical communities.
9:45 | Ben Hart, Abby Osborne, Jimmy Seear | Natural Resources and Innovation in Rural Utah | The Utah Inland Port Authority is interested in helping rural communities through project areas and innovation. This panel highlights the efforts of Juniper as they seek to harness some natural resources to strengthen rural economies.
9:55 | Bjorn and Shanna Carlson | Utah's Ag Producers Innovating the Food System | Ranchers turned to meat processors, the Carlsons have been evolving their ranch and business to keep up with market trends and taking part in the innovation of America's food system by starting a direct to consumer, farm to table business that now includes a USDA inspected meat plant.
10:00 | Utah's Own & Red Emerald Networking Break | Join community and travel enthusiasts to foster connections which celebrate local excellence and elevate Utah's distinctive travel experiences, proudly sponsored by Utah's Own and The Utah Tourism Red Emerald Initiative. | Located in the Adam's Courtyard.
10:30 | Tammie Bostick | ChargeWest: Empowering Electric Corridor Expansion along Western Scenic Byways and All-American Roadways | Building an expansive electric vehicle charging network across the rural roadways of the Intermountain West is opening doors of opportunity. Leading the way is ChargeWest, a multi-state partnership that is collaborating and innovating the way forward for reliable charging solutions that empower individiuals, businesses, and communities.
10:35 | Armando Tirado | Rural Spotlight - Rural Logistics | Savage is helping to rethink rural economies through better access to logistics. This proven initiative is coming to rural Utah.
10:40 | Ryan Starks, Kori Ann Edwards, Kimberly Paluch, Brigham Tomco | Building Rural Economic Opportunities | This panel will address statewide opportunities and regional and community economic development strategies. The discussion will provide best practices and examples of rural economic successes, from developing local assets and talents to increasing entrepreneurship.
10:50 | Governor Spencer J. Cox, Lt. Governor Deidre Henderson, Stephen Lisonbee | Rural Awards |
11:00 | Charles Cooke | The Laboratory of Democracy: Results from Utah | Until the 1930s, the United States were habitually referred to as "these United States" rather than as "the United States." This reflected both the remarkable diversity within the country and the decentralization of power that had allowed a nation filled with profoundly different people to thrive as one. Somewhere along the way, that was forgotten—to the detriment of the states and the nation alike. Charles Cooke will talk about the crucial importance of a revitalized American federal system, and the many ways in which Utah has taken the initiative and set a leading example—to the benefit of its citizens and to the country at large.
11:30 | Governor Spencer J. Cox | Disagree Better: The Utah Way | Join Utah Gov. Spencer J. Cox as he speaks about his National Governors Association chairman’s initiative aimed at fostering healthy conflict and bridging the deep political divide in our nation. Gov. Cox will discuss why he thinks this is the most important issue facing us today and how Utah is uniquely suited to lead the way in healing our fractured society.
Prepare your taste buds for an unforgettable culinary adventure at the Food Truck Roundup Lunch! We're bringing you a diverse spread of delights, including corn dogs, burgers, vegan specialties, custard desserts, and so much more. But that's not all – we're turning up the energy with live music performed by the sensational 8EEZ. Join us for a feast for the senses that combines delicious flavors with an electrifying atmosphere you won't want to miss!
Indulge in a delectable array of culinary delights from our fantastic lineup of food trucks: Red Fort, High Voltage BBQ, Zeppes, St. George Taco, Hearty Beet, Fizz, Chartwells, Wild Thyme Eatery, and Red Acres Farm.
Don't miss the excitement at the State Bank Business Challenge Finals during the One Utah Summit! Join us as we identify and support high-potential early-stage businesses, and witness the competition for over $40,000 in cash and prizes. Be there to cheer on the next generation of entrepreneurs and see innovation in action!
2:30 | Within the inviting ambiance of the Great Hall of the Hunter Alumni Building awaits an exhilarating opportunity to explore the cutting-edge innovations taking place across rural Utah! With a dynamic lineup of presenting partners and over 30 exhibitors, this event promises to be a hub of excitement and inspiration. Discover the full list of exhibitors here.
3:45 | While there, we invite you to tour Utah's Own Farmer's Market, where a vibrant array of local treasures awaits! Join us as we unveil the culinary magic of Chef Shon Foster, a globetrotting sensation who calls Kanab, Utah his home. In a thrilling collaboration with Utah's Own, Chef Shon is set to dazzle you with an unforgettable showcase of 100% Utah-made experiences. It's a celebration of our state's finest, and you're invited to savor every moment with us!
- Utah as an Emerging Leader in Deep Tech | Jefferson Moss, Aaron Starks, Aaron Davis, Shalini Kesar, Vic Hockett, Gabi Tellez, Regan Zane | Charles Hunter Room | With the best economy in the world and historically known for software, Utah’s industry, investment, and academic leaders are preparing to capitalize on the deep tech opportunities readily available in our state in sectors such as genomics, transportation, cybersecurity, and AI to ensure Utah’s place as a world-renowned tech hub. Sponsored by Utah Aerospace & Defense Association.
- What Are Project Areas? | Scott Wolford, Tammy Pearson, Travis Kyhl, Stan Summers, Mike Bleak | Whiting Room | The Utah Inland Port Authority has designated port project areas from Northern Utah to Iron County. Join local municipal, county, and economic leaders as they discuss the process for establishing a project area, getting approval, and the benefits and impacts of these economic and logistics solutions that UIPA can provide. Sponsored by Utah Inland Port Authority, Utah Clean Air.
- How Diversity of Thought Makes for Good Business | Nubia Peña, Edward Bennett, Daneka Souberbielle, Melynda Thorpe, Pete Van Mondfrans | Shooting Star Room | Learn how inclusive policies and programs drive an engaged workforce and boost your bottom line. Hear about diversity of thought and experience from representatives from the state, higher education, industry, and nonprofit sectors. Sponsored by SUU Community and Workforce Development.
- What’s Guiding the Rural Economy | Sophia Dicaro, Cameron Diehl, Phil Dean, Mary Pearson, Robert Spendlove | Yankee Room | We'll highlight the economic backdrop of rural Utah and discuss what rural Utahns want for the future of their communities. Sponsored by Cedar City Economic Development.
- Innovations in Agricultural Water-Saving Practices | Hannah Freeze, Alan H. Morrell, Daniel Cluff, Mitch Hancock, Clay Carter | Vermillion Room | This panel will discuss new, cutting-edge, innovative practices to use agricultural water efficiently. We’ll share how we’re approaching the issue holistically to benefit the environment and farmers while preserving Utah’s ability to grow our food. Sponsored by Bactelife.
- Disagree Better: Healthy Conflict for Better Policy | Governor Spencer J. Cox, Charles Cooke | Charles Hunter Room | People with profound disagreements founded our country. How can conservatives, moderates, and liberals who disagree passionately about important policy topics make conflict productive rather than toxic? Join Gov. Cox and conservative author and commentator Charles Cooke to discuss the importance of healthy conflict, which leads to solutions rather than endless bickering. Sponsored by Intermountain Health.
- Building a Drought Resilient Utah | Candice Hasenyager, Chuck Gillette, Glen Garrick, Randall Holt, Joel Ferry, Tage Flint | Whiting Room | Building drought resiliency in Utah has become paramount in the face of increasingly frequent and severe drought conditions. As a state characterized by a predominantly arid climate, Utah faces significant challenges in ensuring water security for its growing population and sustaining its agricultural and natural ecosystems. In this urgent situation, stakeholders across government, communities, and industries are joining forces to develop comprehensive strategies and initiatives to enhance drought resiliency. By adopting innovative water management practices, promoting conservation measures, and fostering collaborative approaches, Utah strives to mitigate the impacts of drought and build a more resilient future that safeguards its precious water resources for generations. Sponsored by Utah Department of Water Resources.
- Developing School and Institutional Lands in Rural Utah | Kyle Pasley, Mitch Dansie, E. Taylor Woodbury, David Cannon | Shooting Star Room | Learn how, with less regulation and more innovation, developing commercial, residential, and industrial properties on Trust Lands is easier than you think. Sponsored by Utah Trust Lands Administration.
- Empowering Rural Prosperity: Collaborative Strategies & Resources | Colette Cox, Jim Grover, Greg Bisping, Jenna Draper, Desari Read | Yankee Room | Learn about economic development strategies to enhance your community, including state and federal grants and best practices. Sponsored by Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity and EDCUtah.
- Connecting Reliable Energy for Growth Opportunities | Thom Carter, Kristina Brown, Curtis Moore, Rey Butcher, Theresa Foxley | Vermillion Room | Utah’s reliable energy has been a significant contributor to its economic growth. Where are our greatest strengths and opportunities moving forward? Sponsored by Rocky Mountain Power.
Connect with industry professionals and like-minded individuals over refreshments. Discover new opportunities and learn about BZI Steel's cutting-edge contributions to the steel industry. Don't miss this chance to create valuable connections while enjoying delicious refreshments!
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4TH
Please join us for breakfast in the courtyard! Kickstart your day with a mouthwatering breakfast extravaganza by Chartwells! Our spread features a delightful sweet bread and pastry board, fresh fruit bowls, fluffy scrambled eggs, perfectly roasted potatoes, crispy bacon, savory sausage, and luscious yogurt parfaits. Complement it all with a refreshing glass of OJ and a steaming cup of coffee, served to perfection.
9:00 | Stephen Lisonbee| Welcome
9:05 | Ashley Simmons| Brewing Success: Becoming the Leader | Join Ashley Simmons of SodaBeers, as she takes you on a refreshing journey through leadership evolution. Tap into a unique blend of leadership insights that will help you craft your own recipe for success.
9:15 | James Barlow | Developing Leadership Through a Culture of Trust and Innovation | Businesses largely reflect the personas or personalities of their leaders. Hear from James Barlow of BZI about what it takes to build and scale a people-first organization and how to leverage strength from within.
9:30 | Julie Castle | Creating a Desirable Workplace | Workplace culture is more important than it’s ever been in the history of the workforce. Competitive benefits and salary packages are no longer enough. Hear from Julie Castle how to create a lifestyle brand that attracts top talent and creates a culture that staff don't want to leave.
9:45 | One Utah Transformational Leadership Awards
9:55 | Governor Spencer J. Cox, First Lady Abby Cox, Steve Young | How Dynamic Leadership and Healthy Conflict Shape Culture | The right kind of conflict improves the culture of families, businesses, communities, and nations. Explore with Gov. Cox how leaders model and foster healthy conflict, the kind that sharpens our thinking, builds strong institutions, creates empathy, and solves problems.
10:40 | Books, Brews & Bites Networking Break | Join us as we unveil The One Utah Bookstore during the Books, Brews, and Bites Networking Break. Attendees can savor delectable bites and beverages while snagging five free books, fostering connections over a shared love for literature and knowledge. Sponsored by Vasion, Utah Center for Rural Life, Best Friends, BZI, and Forever Young Foundation.
11:10 | Lt. Governor Deidre Henderson | Forged by Challenge: Restoring Strength in Local Communities | Join Lt. Gov. Deidre Henderson as she shares her hope that the American experiment can be saved by restoring our civic culture, championing proximity, and bringing everyone to the table.
11:25 | Donald Miller | Build Your Brand: Why Mastering Your Story Sets You Apart | It doesn't matter how big your business is, telling the story is paramount. Hear from New York Times bestselling author Donald Miller as he shares insights into why building your brand and mastering your story will set you up for success.
11:55 | Donald Miller and Ryan Wedig | Clarifying Your Message and Connecting with Customers | Hear from southern Utah tech innovator Ryan Wedig as he shares the significance of helping high performing teams understand what they do and why they do it. Explore the foundations of Vasion's success including connecting with customers fast and with high impact.
Get ready to join us for a mid-day event that embodies the spirit of inclusion and unity! In collaboration with Utah's First Lady Abby Cox's Show Up initiative, we're shining a spotlight on Unified Sports, a powerful program by Special Olympics that breaks down barriers by bringing individuals with and without intellectual disabilities onto the same team. Join us in celebrating their dedication to fostering social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences.
After this inspiring endeavor, it's time to satisfy your taste buds with a delightful BBQ feast that'll tantalize your senses. Enjoy live contemporary country and classic rock music performed by the Muddy Boot Band. Together, let's make a difference, celebrate unity, and enjoy great food and music at the One Utah Summit!
1:30 | Alan Matheson | Bridge Builders Needed | Great Hall | At a time when political discourse and even business dealings are becoming more rancorous and less productive, there is an acute need for leaders who can foster constructive relationships among different factions to address real problems. This is not just a call to civility or compromise, but an invitation to employ proven approaches to get things done. This presentation will draw on lessons learned working on challenging and controversial policy issues in the public and private sectors.
1:45 | Donald Miller | Creating Your Flight Plan | Great Hall | Every organization needs a blueprint for overcoming common obstacles and achieving growth. Learn a Flight Plan model that features six key elements, each of which plays an important role in organizational success.
2:30 | Savor the Flavor: Sweet & Salty Snack Break Spectacular
2:45 | PRSA Utah Board of Directors: Laura Klarman, Marcus Hardy, Jennifer Toomer-Cook, Matt Hargraves, Brady White | PR Pros Panel: Strategies for Conflict Diffusion | Great Hall | An important and timely conversation with Utah PR experts about techniques for diffusing angry and contencious constituencies using key messaging strategies.
3:25 | Aimee DiBrienza, Janice Brooks, Mayor Donia Jessop, Mayor Logan Monson, Megen Ralphs | FutureReady Worksite: How to Prepare for a Changing Workforce | Great Hall | In a growing Utah, transformational leadership is more important than ever. This session will discuss Utah's growth, effective and evolving workplace climate, and the leader's role in preparing the workplace and the workforce for the future.
Reach Your Peak Adventure Gift Giveaway with appreciation from your One Utah partners.